Wednesday, August 2, 2017

The House on Colorado Boulevard

As I was preparing to print some pages, I realized that I needed a 'companion page' for the one of the home Grandpa built for his mother; so I used that template to make a quick layout of these photos of the 'house on Coloarado Boulevard' which was the setting for several pictures that we have.

When we went to Eagle Rock in 2011, we hoped to find this house.  However, nearly every old home on this street had been destroyed.  It was only through the help of a historian in the area, Eric Warren; and through Steve's sharp eyes noting architectural similarities on the back of a house in a large photo of early Eagle Rock, that we located the home!

When we went back to Eagle Rock in 2014, we were able to tour the inside of this home, as well as the inside of the home seen in the background.  Through reading a few Eagle Rock newspapers from 1919-1927 (also provided by Eric Warren), I discovered that the 2nd home was built by Daddah and Mammah (August Ludwig & Delia Gallagher Ludwig), and they had lived there! 
It's fun to look at the two photos, and notice how the Wisteria and other flowers had grown when the second photo was taken.  Walt & Kay are posing on the sidewalk in the smaller photo; they can also be seen in the shadows on the front porch in the main photo.  [Just click on the photo and you'll see a larger version to view details.]

This is the home where photos were taken of the six brothers with their mother, Narcissa McMurrain Brown, on the steps, right before Fred (aka Jack of Jack & Peg) left for France in World War I.

If you decide to go looking for these homes, be aware that the address is now 2358 Colorado Boulevard, rather than 312 Colorado Boulevard.  I plan to post current photos at a later date.  We had stayed at a motel on Colorado Boulevard on our first trip; when we actually found the house, it was just a block away!  It was difficult to recognize at that time, due to flamboyant awnings & yard decorations being used in connection with a business conducted there.  It is currently a residence once more.

5 comments:

  1. I found your blog through the comment section of Dorcas Smucker's "Life in the Shoe" blog. I don't normally post a comment, but your scrapbook layout designs are so tastefully done - that I just had to! Well done - they are beautiful and compliment the old pictures so well! I have done years of Creative Memories (cut & paste) and am starting to get into digital scrapbooking. If you could share any layout tips with me, I would appreciate it!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should've left my email...
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina,
    I would be happy to share layout tips! Trying to figure out how to give you my email address without giving it to the whole world...
    I just checked Facebook (which I don't often frequent), and Dorcas has 8 Gina's on her list of friends there, so that won't work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! while I was looking at Facebook, you posted again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina, I've clicked on Thinkinghomemaker and didn't find a blog or a way to contact you. I'm sorry - I'd love to help you.
    Anita

    ReplyDelete