Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Walter and May's Romance

May is standing behind her father, August; her sister Peg is sitting in front of her mother, Delia.   This photo was actually taken in 1909, after today's story took place...
It’s a good process for me to go back over records I’ve gathered in the past.  When I take another look at a record, sometimes I see something that means more to me now, because of things I’ve learned since I first viewed it.  And, sometimes I realize all over again that there was more happening than I’ll ever know about!

One thing we do know is that Walter and May both attended the Highland Park Baptist Church, and likely met there.  They both lived in the same neighborhood.

The 1903 City Directory shows that the George E Brown family lived at 6060 Aldama Street.  That location is confirmed in 1904, in newspaper articles, as well as in that City Directory.

In 1904 the Ludwig family is described as being at 129 E Ave 58:
Toni has this photo, which was taken before the Ludwig's arrival.

Then in early 1907 the Brown family relocated to the new home at 5768 Aldama.  Those addresses were the same until November 1908, when the Ludwigs had relocated to 5676 Hub Street.  I suspect that was a home Walter had built, but I have not researched property records to confirm that theory.
 
Walter was definitely working hard as a homebuilder.  An article in the Los Angeles Herald on February 21, 1909, referred to the gain in building permits over the previous year.  A sub-title stated “Better Class of Buildings in Evidence”; and under a list titled “Principal Building Permits” reference is made to “W.B. Brown, 5768 Alameda [sic] avenue, owner and builder; one-story, five-room residence; $1000” at 416 Buchanan Street.  Buchanan Street, between Highland Park and Eagle Rock Blvd, was only a couple of blocks from Sherman Street (now Irvington) where Walter built the house used for Walter and May’s marriage reception, and where they lived - briefly!  So this is clearly the area where he was building homes in1909, although the addresses themselves have changed in some instances, because of incorporation into Los Angeles.
  
Realizing that 129 E Avenue 58 has today become 129 S Avenue 58, here is a map which shows their homes in the neighborhood they lived in, including Highland Park Baptist Church, and the above mentioned building project location:

But, I’m getting ahead of myself, because I still haven't introduced May!  May Ludwig and her parents and sister had moved out to Los Angeles in 1904, but she stated (in a note written in 1977) that Daddah (August) made his first trip to Los Angeles in 1902, so we can be sure that he had carefully considered the move.  Similarly, George Eugene Brown had spent time in Los Angeles during the winter of 1901-1902, as mentioned last week. 

We do know that Walter was elected president of a Sunday School class in Highland Park in 1906; and we know that May’s Baptismal Certificate, from Highland Park Baptist Church, is dated 1907; and we have several photos of Sunday School class picnics from 1908:
May is in the top right-hand corner; her sister Peg (Lizetta, #11) is the 2nd from left of May (see names on next photo).

And in this photo from May’s album (of another Sunday school picnic) you can see Walter, 3rd from the left, looking straight at the camera:

Although he had moved to Los Angeles, twice August ventured into farming endeavors, away from the city.  The first time he was in Holtville, in the Imperial Valley - directly east of San Diego, and directly south of Las Vegas - not all that close to Los Angeles; and that was where he was located in 1908, when his daughters were living on Hub Street.

Something momentous occurred on July 14, 1908.  May preserved a postcard (‘OH JOY’ on one side) with a note from Walter; a leaf from Sycamore Grove; and the envelope in which the postcard and leaf remain today:


So, the 5-week time-frame mentioned last week dates from July 14th; because on August 27, 1908, Walter wrote a letter to May’s father, August.  What a treasure that letter is today, over 110 years later!

As I’ve read items written by Walter, from letters to advertisements for homes, it’s been intriguing to see how he expressed himself.  The letter that he wrote to his prospective father-in-law is six pages long, and some of his remarks remind me of statements from ‘Fiddler on the Roof’!  Here is a transcription of Walter’s letter:

“Aug. 27 - 1908
“Mr. A. Ludwig:
    “Dear Sir:
        “You are not at all surprised at receiving this letter from me, and I hope I can express myself to you as I might hope to do in words.  Already you are acquainted with the motive that prompts me in writing to you, for May has written and told you of our engagement.  Yes engaged and the love I offer her, is, I hope just as pure as the love she gives me in return.  It is true Mr. Ludwig that only a short time ago we were total strangers, but today we think enough of each other to safely trust our future happiness in each other’s hands. 
“I have not to tell you why I care so much for May.  You are judge enough for that.  I love her for her simple nature and I respond to every disposition that she has revealed to me and above all she is a good Christian girl.
“I understand just how you feel in regard to her age [May was nearly 18], and also mine [Walter was 22].  May is, I know, too young to settle down in life and take up the cares that of course come with married life.
“Now I don’t expect her to do this and for her own good and also mine we had not thought of marrying under two years.  In fact that subject has hardly entered our heads.  I love her and could not help but tell her, and though I expected worse, I was given love in return.
“Mr. Ludwig I’m not pleading my case with you.  I’m just stating the present conditions.  May has promised me faithfully, not in the least defying your wishes.  She just did as her own heart bid her and I shall never betray her confidence, and if she loves me as she claims to, and as I want her to, I shall do my best to get her.  I shall do nothing in the least way dishonorable though in getting my wish.  If you consider me worthy of May you will have no objections, unless we think of marrying within the two years.  On the other hand if you do not feel safe in trusting your daughter’s happiness in my hands, and do really consider me beneath her level, I candidly ask you to say so.  I’m proud of the love I have won and I’d be proud to be your son, and God knows I will be a loyal one.
“There is more I’d like to say but too much at a time might be irritating to you.  I want to hear from you as I know I shall.  Yet I hope you will not feel angry with me for being so frank and decisive in what I have said, even though I may deserve it.  I am not playing with May’s feelings and in every sense of the word I mean business and I trust you will look kindly toward me and sanction the step May and I have taken.
“Hoping to hear from you, and favorably, I remain, sincerely yours, Walter B Brown”


[I just have to insert here:  this envelope is a treasure in more ways than one!  Methods are available now to test DNA left behind on an envelope flap or postage stamp - imagine the further mysteries we could solve using Walter’s DNA!]
  
Although the letter was written on August 27, 1908, the postmark on the envelope is September 1, 1908, from Los Angeles.  At the end of the letter Walter made a notation of a Portland address.  We have letters and postcards which Walter wrote to May from that Portland address during November-December of 1908.  Daddy said that his father was working in Portland, roofing houses, with regular wood shingles.

Here is a postcard Grandpa sent that fall, using Gregg shorthand.  Anyone want to provide a translation?  My Gregg is pretty rusty, but I do see ‘love’ a couple of times, and ‘dear’ - and I’m pretty sure I see ‘short hand’:

And this series of postcards sent by Walter in December was both fun and appropriate, since May was a bookworm!

But, let’s go back to the letter which August received.  When I read that letter, I really, really, really wished I could know what August’s reaction was!  I knew he was in Holtville, but that’s all I knew.  Then one day I was doing searches at Newpapers.com, just to see what I could find; and when I did a search for “August Ludwig” I found two advertisements, on the upper right side of this newspaper clipping:
August's advertisements are on the upper right.
The first advertisement:  “FOR SALE - LEASE ON TEN ACRES IN townsite of Holtville.  Five acres set to grapes, three in vegetables, balance vacant.  Could be set in onions.  Horse, wagon, 10x12 tent-house, furnished, plow.  Will sell for $250.  Family reasons demand return to city.  Address AUGUST LUDWIG, Holtville, Cal.”

The second advertisement:  “FOR SALE - 65 ACRES OF FINEST unimproved land in valley, two miles north of Holtville.  With water stock; deeded land.  Might consider improved city up to $3000.  Price $6500.  Address AUGUST LUDWIG, Holtville, Cal.”

Then I noticed the date on the Los Angeles Times newspaper: October 11, 1908.  Just a few weeks after receiving Walter’s letter.  How amazing, to actually know what some of the results were…

This has become too lengthy already, so I will write later about the time leading up to their wedding.  Before I do that, I want to take one or two posts to tell you more about my Grandma, Mary King “May” Ludwig! 

Guess which important fact was written incorrectly on her birth certificate???

Until next week…

No comments:

Post a Comment